Cyanogenmod 10.1 - Galaxy Nexus

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for over 6 months now and I've realized a few things in that time. First is that the software on the phone, is much more important than the phone hardware. I would rather have Jelly Bean on 1 year old hardware, than Ice Cream Sandwich on the latest phone hardware. This is why the Galaxy Nexus was a good choice for me because with it, I can be on the latest version, though I do have the Sprint version, which does lag a little, but ultimately isn't the reason I moved too Cyanogenmod.

I ran Cyanogenmod on my previous phone, the Sprint EVO 4G. That made a huge difference and was much more pleasant than the stock HTC Sense interface which could be slow, though it did have some nice features to it. This time, having the Galaxy Nexus, even though it was the Sprint version, and being stock Android, my desire and need to move to a custom ROM was very small. Ultimately, the reason I moved was for just a few features that I wanted.

The first thing I love about the Cyanogenmod 10.1 release is that the pull down can be notification or the new Android quick settings. If you pull down from the center to the left, it is your normal notifications, but if you pull down from the right, it is your quick settings. You can also add more items to the quick list like GPS and LTE, which I really needed as well.

The one other thing I like, now that I am moved over is the circular battery indicator. I didn't care about this at first, but it is very easy to read and view exactly how much battery is left. The stock indicator can be very misleading at times. The new indicator is a must have for me now.

All in all, stock Android is an amazing, and I could get by on it just fine. Cyanogenmod though offers those few customization that just make the experience ever so slightly better in my opinion, making Android just that much better. I just wish I wasn't stuck in a contract with Sprint and their super slow data speeds in my area, but that is another story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperthreading for Gaming - Worth it ...

Galaxy Nexus on Sprint

Quake 4: Linux & ATI