My first LCD

After 4 years of owning a computer, I purchased a monitor for the first time. I had a decent 19" monitor, but I found a great deal on a widescreen LCD and couldn't pass it up. The monitor is a 15.4 inch widescreen by SOYO and it cost only $78. This isn't by any means the greatest LCD in the world, but for the price its very nice.

When it arrived, I couldn't believe how light it was. At first I thought they maybe forgot to put the item in there. It was very easy to setup. The hardest part was removing my old monitor, which weighs over 40 lbs. The downsize in screen wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be. Since its a widescreen it actually is just as wide as my previous monitor.

Things were going well with it until I booted my computer into Linux. I run Ubuntu 6.06 on my machine. Its very nice and works with most hardware without a problem. For some reason it didn't want to setup my new monitor correctly. It would work with 1024x768, but at this resolution images look wrong because they are being stretched. The monitor is a 16:10 aspect ratio and its native resolution is 1280x800. I spend days of Internet searching trying to solve my problem, but did not have any luck.

I knew to solve my problem I needed to create a modeline to place in the xorg.conf file. The problem was I didn't know what this file needed to contain. With a quick Google search I found a site that enables you to plug in simple information on you monitor and it will generate the modeline for you. I tried this but it didn't work. When I ran at 1280x800, the screen would go square and look all funny.

Eventually I found a site that showed how to get the EDID from a monitor. This is the information that is stored in a monitor that describes its cababilities. So, I ran the command:

get-edid | parse-edid

From it I was able to get all the specifics on the monitor. Even the number to put into the modeline. So, I now created my own modeline with all the correct information. I was sure this would solve the problem. I restarted X and it didn't work. Something was still wrong.

The following day it was suggested to me that maybe XGL was causing a problem. When I heard this, I thought about it, and it made sense. I had remembered reading about XGL and when I installed it it did some changed to my video drivers. So, I uninstalled XGL, and then restarted the monitor at 1280x800 and it worked.

I'm very happy with the monitor. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is going to be a second monitor for me once I save up to purchase I nice LCD for my main screen. Now I just have to decide whether to go with another widescreen or not.

SOYO TFT 15.4 inch Widescreen
Model: MT-NI-DYLM1596
Resolution: 1280x800
Contrast Ratio: 600:1
Brightness: 220cd/m2
Pixel Pitch: .258
Connector: D-sub 15 pin

Here is the modeline for the monitor. Just copy and paste into the xorg.conf file
Modeline "1280x800" 68.90 1280 1301 1333 1408 800 804 808 816 -HSync -VSync

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperthreading for Gaming - Worth it ...

Galaxy Nexus on Sprint

Quake 4: Linux & ATI